Quick Tinnitus Test
An estimated 50 million Americans are affected with ringing in the ears, called tinnitus. Are you one of them?
Please fill out the form on the right to see if you’re experiencing tinnitus. These questions help identify difficulties you may be experiencing due to tinnitus.
Please fill out the form below to see if you’re experiencing tinnitus. These questions help identify difficulties you may be experiencing due to tinnitus.
[gravityform id=”3″ title=”false” description=”false”]
To find out more about Tinnitus, read:
What Causes Tinnitus?
Roughly 25 million Americans have experience tinnitus, a symptom associated with many forms of hearing problems. (It can also be a symptom of other health problems.)
Tinnitus is typically caused by:
- Hearing Loss—Most people who have tinnitus also have some kind of hearing loss.
- Loud Noise—Exposure to loud noise can cause permanent hearing loss and tinnitus. Continued exposure can make the tinnitus and hearing loss become worse.
- Medication—More than 200 medicines, including aspirin, can cause tinnitus. If you have tinnitus and you take medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist whether your medicine could be the cause.
- Other potential causes. Allergies, tumors, problems in the heart and blood vessels, jaw and neck can cause tinnitus.
What Should I do if I Have Tinnitus?
The first step is to see call and talk to us, schedule a visit with one of our audiologists for an evaluation. A careful history and audiometric testing will determine the most likely causes and best treatment for your tinnitus. You may be referred to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor to complete the diagnosis.
Types of Tinnitus Treatments
A careful review of your health history along with audiometric testing will identify which of the following is the right treatment option:
- Hearing Aids—Hearing aids create a dual benefit of enhancing hearing and masking or covering up the tinnitus. The majority of patients with tinnitus receive partial or complete relief from their tinnitus with the use of hearing aids.
- Maskers—Tinnitus maskers are small electronic devices that look like hearing aids and are tuned to generate sound that masks or covers up the tinnitus.
- Drug Therapy—Certain medicines may provide some relief from tinnitus. Nutritional supplements may also provide additional relief.
- Allergy Treatment—Allergies can exacerbate tinnitus. If you test positive for allergies treatment can have the dual effect of reducing the ringing in your ears and giving you a big boost in energy.
What Can I Do to Help Myself?
Avoid anything that can make your tinnitus worse, such as smoking, alcohol and loud noise. If you are a construction worker, an airport worker, a hunter, or if you are regularly exposed to loud noise at home or at work, wear ear plugs or special earmuffs to protect your hearing and keep your tinnitus from getting worse.
If it is hard for you to hear over your tinnitus, ask your friends and family to face you when they talk so you can see their faces. Seeing their expressions may help you understand them better. Ask people to speak louder but not shout. Also, tell them they do not have to talk slowly, just more clearly.
Tinnitus therapy works, and we urge you to talk to a professional audiologist and put an end to the ringing in your ears.
The first step is to schedule an appointment to have your tinnitus evaluated. There may be other medical issues behind the tinnitus, and it is important to rule out anything else that may affect your overall health.
Meet the Team
The best way to pick the right hearing expert is to get to know them.
What People Say
Find out what people you may know in your community say about our services.
Talk to the Experts
Call us today to cut through the confusion about hearing loss and hearing aids.
“Words cannot express my gratitude to Karen and ALL of Riverside! Being new to the hearing aid world-I had a LOT of questions and made several visits. Not only were they able to get me in to the office in a reasonable amount of time–they were EXCITED to service me–they LOVE what they do. They exceeded my expectations. They did not try to over-sell or complicate things. They met me at my need, guided me and then made it comfortable to come in. Often, the service after the sale is not as good-not so here. If you are a picky person or like to ask a lot of questions like me-I know you will love them like I do!”